IN THIS ORDER …
- Ensure that you are registered as an umpire for 2024 with BCBUA on bcbua.ca. You are required to pay for your annual membership through the PayPal website. You can pay with PayPal or with a credit card or a debit card.
- Go to bcbuaeducationportal.net and create a login profile and register for your choice of Level 1 or Level 2 clinic on the date that best fits your schedule
- Level 1 clinics are for those that are new to umpiring and those that will be umpiring at the 11U and 9U divisions (60’ diamonds with no leadoffs).
- Level 2 clinics are for umpires that will be umpiring at the 13U and higher divisions. There are leadoffs and balks at these levels. Minimum age for level 2 is 14 years old. (BC Minor rules state that an umpire must be 1 division removed from the division they are umpiring i.e. must be 15U-aged to umpire at 13U division)
- On bcbuaeducationportal.net browse the Resources tab and view the Mechanics section for Core Skills and Minute Mechanics section for Umpire Procedures.
- Download the appropriate Student Workbook.
Prior to your scheduled online clinic …
- Ensure your computer’s Internet speed is compatible. Use a program such as speedtest.net for testing. Minimum speed is 10 mbds.
- Ensure that you are using a computer or tablet (sorry, no smartphones) with Google Chrome; Edge; or Firefox as a browser … Apple Safari in not compatible with our education portal platform
- View the videos that are the pre-modules for your selected level.
- Level 2 umpires … complete the refresher quiz at the beginning of your workbook.
On the day of your clinic
- Get comfortable and be in a place that allows you to focus on the online material over a 3-hour period. Have water and snacks close by.
- Log into bcbuaeducationportal.net at least 5 minutes prior to your session. Navigate to the Live Session area and wait for you session to start. Level 1 and Level 2 students will go through the same introduction and then will split off to their specific training areas.
- There is the ability to type a question to the instructor through the training and there are 2 times during the clinic that an instructor comes into the session to provide feedback on interactive knowledge check questions
You will be required to access the appropriate level exam and complete (and pass) the exam. For level 1, you will take the exam during your session and then have the opportunity to view a live answer period at the end of the clinic. For level 2, you will go to bcbua.ca and access your exam when convenient, and you will have multiple opportunities to get a passing mark on the exam if needed.
If you have not already attended a practical session you can register for a practical session through bcbua.ca and selecting Clinics from the left margin.